How to Join as a Planner
Planner applicants may join on their own at any time by clicking the Join button at the top of this page and selecting New Government Planner or New Contract Planner as the Membership Option.
The preferred and most efficient way for planners to join SGMP is to sign up using the online system. Staff will normally review and respond to you within two business days of receipt. If your application is approved, you will receive an email with an invoice for your dues payment, which you can then go back online to process. If it is not approved, you will be notified as to why that determination was made (it may include a request for clarification). Your membership is not confirmed and official until SGMP sends you an email that confirms the processing of your dues payment, which represents the start of your membership term.
If a paper application is needed, contact email@example.com and one will be sent to you. Chapter representatives may accept an application on your behalf at chapter events and will forward it to SGMP headquarters within 15 days. If you cannot pay online, checks are also accepted. Please do not email your credit card information.
Also, a supplier cannot pay the dues for his or her's planner match. Each member must arrange for payment of their own dues.
Planner applicants may join on their own at any time. Supplier applicants can only join SGMP when they submit an application references a planner "match" application. If you are electing to join with a supplier, please make sure that supplier's name and company name are noted in the space provided on the application at the time you submit it to SGMP headquarters.
There are two planner membership categories — Government Planner and Contract Planner — which are defined below. If you or your organization collect commission, then you must join as an Associate Supplier (go to How to Join as a Supplier now).
GOVERNMENT PLANNER — $55
Individuals who are employed by federal, state, or local governments who have the responsibility for planning or implementing any type of meeting — on a full- or part-time basis — as part of their official duties. [Employees of military and quasi-government organizations or associations where a majority of their membership is comprised of government employees may also qualify.]
CONTRACT PLANNER — $140
Individuals, organizations or companies operating under contract to (and receiving payments directly from) government agencies to assist in the planning or implementing of any type of meeting. [Contract planner members must not work for an organization that receives commission from suppliers.]
- Incomplete or illegible applications will be returned. There is a $40 returned check fee.
- Be sure to select the chapter with which you wish to affiliate when you sign up (applicants not noting a chapter will be placed into the At Large chapter, which provides no local activities or additional benefits).
- Current or past planner members are not eligible to re-join along with a supplier as their "match" until their membership has lapsed for 12 months.
- Government employees, please check with your ethics officer before accepting membership as a gift.
- Applicants that qualify for more than one category are only eligible to join SGMP at the higher category.