How to Join as a SupplierThere are two supplier membership categories — Supplier and Associate Supplier — which are defined below.
SUPPLIER — $400
Companies or individuals who provide facilities and services to government or contract planners outside of direct assistance in the planning and implementation of meetings. [Supplier members are paid by agencies/planners. Hotels and CVBs are supplier members.]
ASSOCIATE SUPPLIER — $275
Individuals, organizations or companies being compensated through commission from suppliers. [Associate suppliers are paid by suppliers.]
If a paper application is needed, contact firstname.lastname@example.org and one will be sent to you. Chapter representatives may accept an application on your behalf at chapter events and will forward it to SGMP headquarters within 15 days. If you cannot pay online, checks are also accepted. Please do not email your credit card information.
Currently, many chapters are participating in a pilot program where they are not required to join with a planner match. Listed below is information related to chapters participation in the pilot program. If you are joining one of the chapters in the pilot program, please enter 50/50 pilot in the match field on the online application or on the paper form provided to you by your chapter.
|Participating in 50/50 Pilot Program||Not Participating in 50/50 Pilot Program|
|Central Florida||Old Dominion||Michigan|
|Florida Capital||Rocket City Alabama||Northern Lights|
|Georgia Peach||Sacramento||Pacific Northwest|
|Greater Oregon||San Antonio Alamo||Rocky Mountain|
|Missouri State Capital||San Francisco Bay Area|
|New England||Texas LOne Star|
|North Carolina||Wild West Oklahoma|
If the chapter you are joining is not participating in the pilot then the supplier membership application package MUST include the planner's name in the correct box as part of the online application. There is no deadline by which an appropriately-matched supplier application must be received by SGMP headquarters after the planner application. An inappropriately-matched supplier application will always be deemed incomplete.
Also, a supplier cannot pay the dues for his or her's planner match. Each member must arrange for payment of their own dues.
Supplier applications will be processed after the planner match application (where applicable) is processed per the policies below. If the planner match’s application is not received at SGMP headquarters, the supplier application will not be processed and will be returned. In the case where a supplier application is returned, any corresponding planner match application will be processed (so the supplier applicant will have to find another planner match and resubmit that application).
Each of the following requirements must be met by the supplier applicant. Failure to adhere to all of these requirements will result in the immediate return of the membership material(s):
- The payment for each membership must be included with each application (a corporate check that does NOT include either an application or a specific reference to the individual applicant's name will be returned immediately).
- The "Name of Planner Match" field on a supplier application must include the name of its planner match applicant.
- A supplier application must note the same chapter as its planner match application.
We recommend three sources for supplier applicants to research to find an eligible planner match. First, we recommend soliciting government professionals involved in meetings previously who have used the location or services you represent. Second, we recommend attending a local chapter meeting to network with non-member planner guests. Third, we recommend contacting the membership chair of the chapter you wish to join to see if they have any knowledge of planners interested in or intending to join that chapter.
We recommend attending a meeting along with your prospect to show them the value and benefits the organization has to offer, and for the government professional to have the opportunity to meet their peers.
- Incomplete or illegible applications will be returned. There is a $40 returned check fee.
- Be sure to select the chapter with which you wish to affiliate on your application (applicants not noting a chapter will be placed into the At Large chapter).
- Current or past planner members are not eligible to re-join along with a supplier as their “match” until their membership has lapsed for 12 months.
- Federal government employees operate under ethics rules that do not allow them to accept membership as a gift.